Lightning is camera shy

It really is...at least with me.  Its like it knows I'm holding the camera, waiting.

We spent the day in Bellville on Saturday and on our drive home we noticed a storm in the distant night sky.  It was really cool to watch and then we noticed what seemed to look like part of a funnel cloud, like it was half formed.  I grabbed the Flip video camera because if we were about to witness a tornado form, I wanted it on camera.  So I filmed, and filmed...and filmed, and nothing happened.  The clouds were covering the lightning so it was more of a neat light show than anything else.  Finally I pressed the stop button to stop filming.  A millionth of a second later, BOOM!  A GIANT blinding streak of lightning strikes right in front of us.  It was beautiful.  The kind you see in posters and books...and my camera was off!  Jason and I were both shouting "OH, NO!"  We couldn't believe it!  Missing that shot will literally haunt me the rest of my life!

I figured surely there will be more so I turned on the camera again to start filming.  I'd have my camera pointing in one direction and lightning would strike in the complete opposite direction.  This happened over and over again.  I never got a good or clear shot.  I'm still cringing!

So here's my failed attempt at catching another amazingly beautiful streak of lightning. 

 this picture gives you an idea of how dark it was outside...

This is what it looked like outside with lightning!  It almost looks like daylight!

The lightning streaks were big and bright...and always just out of reach!  For having to drive in such horrible weather, it was really quite entertaining!  Guess it also helps that we are family easily amused!

Comments

Popular Posts