Crafty Mama

Did you know that March is National Arts and Crafts Month?  Actually I didn't know myself until a trip to Michael's yesterday afternoon!  I figured this was a post fitting for such an occasion, or event...or whatever a month of something qualifies as. 

For my own amusement/curiosity/hormone appeasement I learned how to knit while I was pregnant with Riley.  My first several projects were long skinny scarfs that used only one kind of stitch, the knit stitch (for anyone new to knitting, there are literally hundreds).  Then I added a purl stitch (knit and purl are the two most basic and used stitches in knitting)...a year later!  Then I learned to crochet...incorrectly.  Two years, two trips to Missouri, and few more tutorials later I learned to crochet the correct way!  Its not that I am an idiot (OK, maybe partially).  It is that with three very young kids and a business to run I had very little time to do anything on a leisure level.  Now that the kids are older and happily play with each other and entertain themselves I have found that I have a little bit of freedom with my time.  Not that I get to do what I want!  I still have to split my attention at nearly all times so picking up my knitting sticks or crochet hook is usually what happens. 

I don't know why I find it so entertaining.  Maybe its the x chromosomes!  Thankfully Jason let me know that friends of ours from work were also fellow knitters/crocheters and artsy...like me!  We've been friends for years and I never knew!  Now I welcome every get together where we combine great food, wine, and lots of yarn with great laughs!

So here is what these little fingers have stitched out this month (and part of last month).  To be honest, they are kind of tender now!

This one is really cute on Riley! 
Cute bucket hat!

Adorable newsboy!  This one is actually sized for a baby.  Anyone with a baby girl need a hat?

I started this one in February!  It is going to be a drying mat/dish towel for the kitchen.  All of the stitches are tiny, which is what I wanted, but it has taken forever and still has a bit more to go!

Another towel for the kitchen.  I plan on making a whole set of them but it may take the rest of 2011!  This one was knitted with a seed stitch and is super soft!  Love it!

Cable knit has been intimidating to me since I started knitting.  I finally decided to try it and behold, the cable stitch!

I started with two crappy sets of yarn.  Now I've managed to build up a decent collection of yarn.  I have to carefully plan my trips to Hobby Lobby or Michael's lest I spend hours there!  

Next post will be a long overdue Who Arted?  Joshua has some awesome Kindergarten art.  As expected Daniella and Riley have drawn and painted up enough work for a gallery, and even I spent a few hours on a little project for Jason while he was camping!  All to be posted...later!  I'm late to pick up the kids!

Comments

Popular Posts