Good Ole Fashion Family Fun

It is Spring Break and this week ALL of us are home!  I go back and forth from overwhelming joy that we get to spend all of this time together and extreme agitation that we have to spend all this time together.  I guess that's how it goes with big families!  Either way, I know these are precious years and how quickly they fly by.

I remember a few years ago our church did a lovely ceremony for the presentation of the first bible to the 1st graders.  Daniella was in 1st grade at FBA at the time and so was part of this.  One of the women from the school read a book called "Let Me Hold You Longer".  Honestly, I teared up just typing the title!  I fought with every bit if strength, dignity, and pride not to bawl my eyes out and keep it together during the reading.  Thick as my skin is, I don't think I made it past page 3!  She closed with noting that "The days are long but the years are short."  My children are still young and I can say from experience, yes!  Why so sundry?  I guess with all this time with my kids, I sometimes forget or take for granted how lucky I am.  Jason and I pretty much stopped vacationing together after Joshua was born, we don't exactly get out much, and I have never (that's right never) hired a sitter even one night for my kids.  Where we have gone, they have gone...and amidst the tragedy and heartbreak around the world, I find myself rejoicing with heartfelt thankfulness for each day with them. OK enough mush!

So, on the agenda for this quality time with the kiddos (ready to smile now) was a day at the rodeo.  We did the usual, the carnival rides, petting zoo, spectators for the bull riding and bucking broncos...the turkey leg, etc.  But this year the entertainment really came from a great performance by an iconic band!  No pop stars or Beiber Fever for this crazy family!  Nope, item #347 crossed off the bucket list...we saw Kiss!  We saw them on the rodeo line up and rationed that this was probably the safest way to see them with the kids.  And so we went!

This was backstage seconds before heading out the stage...their intro!


The only time Gene Simmons' makeup was pristine. He was sweating bullets during the whole show so his makeup wasn't as pretty by the end!





The trademark look for Simmons!



Joshua loved the show and gave them the thumbs up along with the rock n roll sign!


We haven't stayed till the end of a show in years but we knew they would be exiting the arena on our side and couldn't resist the chance to see them this close!

Oh and there are these pics from earlier in the day...

 With three kids, carnival tickets go fast so we chose the best rides so everyone was sure to have fun!





The turkey leg...or at least what's left of it.  I think I'm loosing my touch.  Way too much meat left!

 The seats we have are part of a set that get purchased every year.  Every year the consideration to not to renew arises, and every year we end up here.  They are just really really good seats...right next the tunnel where the grand parade enters the arena, and some of the bulls and broncs are brought through...

 ...and the um, view is great too!

 Like I said, great seats!

On this particular night thousands of spectators and participants alike had their faces painted in some form of Kiss pattern!  The face painting spanned all ages, genders, and ethnic groups!  It really was quite entertaining!

We left the house just after lunch and returned at nearly midnight.  All in all, a great family night out!

Comments

Popular Posts