5 Years

Today is our (me and Jason) anniversary of 5 years! What a 5 years! We've definitely had our highs and lows but no matter what we've always been able to laugh together, learn together, and grow together. Even though its only been 5 years I feel like Jason has always been there. I have a hard time even remembering life before Jason and the kids. We definitely packed in a lot in this short amount of time! 5 years down, 50 to go!

While 5 years of marriage is definitely significant, something that I consider equally special is the anniversary of the pastor for our church. Gregg Matte became the head pastor of Houston's First Baptist Church on August 31st 2004 (same day we were married). This is so special to me because it was Gregg's bible studies at Breakaway in College Station (actually Bryan) that truly first led me to Christ. I grew up in the Catholic church and learned a lot about being a Catholic but very little about being a Christian. I went to Breakaway all 4 1/2 years at A&M and loved it. It was God's first big tug into my heart and I am so thankful for it. When I moved back to Houston I did not have a home church and my faith was, well weak and waning. I did not want to return to a Catholic church and I had not yet started looking for a new one, partly because I was going through a lot of anger. Jason had mentioned to me that Gregg was up for consideration for the new pastor at his church. I knew right there and then that not only would Gregg be accepted, but that I found my church.

Fast forward five years later. We are still members at Houston's First and still loving it. Gregg has done a phenomenal job leading the congregation as a "relevant biblical community". We've enjoyed every message and enjoyed seeing the amazing changes and growth in the church. I've been listening to Gregg since 1996 and feel very lucky to still be able to listen to him today!

We've been able to spend many fun times with fellow church members through FBA (which I still miss). Last year I felt the tug to be baptized at our church but ignored the tug because I felt like I was "too old". In January the thought grew stronger and still I ignored it. In February I made my decision to follow through in obedience and in May I was baptized.

God made sure I didn't take the easy way out too! I wanted to do it during the night service where attendance was lower and I didn't know anyone. God made sure that did not happen. I tried to plan my baptism for literally months and every date was either full or conflicted with other events (such as Emily's baptism, Daniella's birthday, etc). The only time that seemed to work was May 18th and of course on that day Gregg was the one doing the baptisms. "Fine Lord, have it your way!" Really there was no better way!

God has been working miracles in our life and even though there are still storms lingering, I know and trust that God will continue to work them in our lives. I know where Jason and I want to go and what we want to do and I am continually in prayer that one day we will be worthy for the task.

With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith. We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thess 1:11-12

Comments

Jason said…
i love my wife. ;)
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! You and Jason are a perfect match!

Popular Posts