Oh, That's Why!
I remember a few years ago I bought the kids some jammies at The Gap and each one had this tag on it that read something along the lines of "not flame retardant". My thought was, well of course its not! Then my mind began to wonder as I tried think of what incident or incidents (wouldn't there have to be more than one) happened that would bring about such a tag. I mean really unless otherwise noted, isn't ALL clothing flammable?
Anyway, Saturday night we decided to fire up the fire place. I had set the Christmas tree up and did some minor Christmas decorating Friday and with the colder weather it was a perfect night for a fire and hot chocolate.
The kids have never been around a fireplace, at least one that was lit, so they were besides themselves with excitement once the fire was on. Joshua kept testing his boundaries as he inched closer and closer to the fire. I was standing behind him as the protective mom ready to grab him in the likely event he would try to put a hand or limb in the fire. He knows it is hot. He knows it can burn him. He knows what a burnt finger feels like...he figured that one out by touching a hot light bulb. He still would not back away.
Then it dawned on me! Oh, that's why! That's why there is a warning label on kid pajamas. Feeling worried that Joshua was moments from confirming that his pj's were in fact flammable I quickly put the big fireplace screen back up. Hopefully this winter the novelty of the fireplace will quickly wear off...before we have to call the fire dept!
Anyway, Saturday night we decided to fire up the fire place. I had set the Christmas tree up and did some minor Christmas decorating Friday and with the colder weather it was a perfect night for a fire and hot chocolate.
The kids have never been around a fireplace, at least one that was lit, so they were besides themselves with excitement once the fire was on. Joshua kept testing his boundaries as he inched closer and closer to the fire. I was standing behind him as the protective mom ready to grab him in the likely event he would try to put a hand or limb in the fire. He knows it is hot. He knows it can burn him. He knows what a burnt finger feels like...he figured that one out by touching a hot light bulb. He still would not back away.
Then it dawned on me! Oh, that's why! That's why there is a warning label on kid pajamas. Feeling worried that Joshua was moments from confirming that his pj's were in fact flammable I quickly put the big fireplace screen back up. Hopefully this winter the novelty of the fireplace will quickly wear off...before we have to call the fire dept!
Comments