Back to the Country
We spent the day in Bellville today. Jason worked with Pops on the yard and the kids even pitched in a little! It really is nice to get out of the city and spend some time in the country. We spent the evening on the back porch looking out into woods seeing the little flickers of lightning bugs in the distance and savoring the quiet around us.
Thankfully Daniella has some good eyes and spends a lot of time studying up on animals. She spotted a snake in the dark that was just inches from her. Talk about impressive. Not only was it dark (you know how dark it is in the country right) the snake was also perfectly camouflaged with the ground that was covered in leaves. She also spotted a scorpion…in the dark. I have horrible night vision so I’m glad she seems to not share this trait! We’ve been telling the kids to be on guard and watch every step when we are out there and now they finally have a healthy respect for their surroundings!
The trip only takes about an hour (from our driveway to theirs) so it is strange to go from pitch black, snakes, BIG spiders, and deer to bright lights and shopping centers 30 minutes later.
Its perfect!

The kids were given binoculars to do some bird watching. They carried these everywhere they went the whole time we were there!


This picture made me think of the phrase “city slicker”…plaid shorts and knee high socks…priceless! Joshua didn’t want to wear pants on the trip there because he said it was too hot for pants. We let him ride in comfort and packed jeans for him that he changed into shortly after we got there! I promise I didn’t let him sport this outfit too long!


Daniella’s turn with the binoculars!


I love this picture! Riley did not wear boots (mainly because we don’t have them for her yet) so she chose her sparkly pink converse shoes with matching pink socks and jumper! Add in a vintage Radio Flyer wagon and you’ve got a precious pic!
Thankfully Daniella has some good eyes and spends a lot of time studying up on animals. She spotted a snake in the dark that was just inches from her. Talk about impressive. Not only was it dark (you know how dark it is in the country right) the snake was also perfectly camouflaged with the ground that was covered in leaves. She also spotted a scorpion…in the dark. I have horrible night vision so I’m glad she seems to not share this trait! We’ve been telling the kids to be on guard and watch every step when we are out there and now they finally have a healthy respect for their surroundings!
The trip only takes about an hour (from our driveway to theirs) so it is strange to go from pitch black, snakes, BIG spiders, and deer to bright lights and shopping centers 30 minutes later.
Its perfect!
The kids were given binoculars to do some bird watching. They carried these everywhere they went the whole time we were there!
This picture made me think of the phrase “city slicker”…plaid shorts and knee high socks…priceless! Joshua didn’t want to wear pants on the trip there because he said it was too hot for pants. We let him ride in comfort and packed jeans for him that he changed into shortly after we got there! I promise I didn’t let him sport this outfit too long!
Daniella’s turn with the binoculars!
I love this picture! Riley did not wear boots (mainly because we don’t have them for her yet) so she chose her sparkly pink converse shoes with matching pink socks and jumper! Add in a vintage Radio Flyer wagon and you’ve got a precious pic!
Comments