Fun with Photoshop

Photoshop is one of those programs that is completely intimidating until you spend a few hours...or years learning the ins and outs of how it works. I once heard someone say that if you are a good photographer (brace yourselves fellow photogs) then you don't need Photoshop at all. I submit that this particular person is one who obviously was naive to the power of Photoshop and may have had a poor understanding to the art side of photography. Its true there's not a whole lot that you can with a bad picture, but it is very possible to turn a good picture or even a great picture into something even better, maybe even amazing.

With design on the brain constantly I don't usually have too many Photoshop breaks, but lately I've been using Lightroom for all of my photo editing and so haven't edited photos specifically through PS in the past few months. I've also never been too keen on using actions. I like to have complete control over each photo even if it means painstaking repetition. I finally gave "actions" a try and now I'm hooked. Not every action will work well with any picture for some it is like it was meant to be.

Last year I spent a few months creating and tweaking a few texture overlays...which I now rarely use...but hey I have em'! This summer I'll start with actions. What I love about these is it is very similar to writing a recipe...and if it isn't obvious...I'm a sucker for a good recipe! :)

Here's an example of actions at work. This is a picture I took at my favorite park in The Woodlands in January.

the original

With a few new favorite action...isn't it beautiful? Or maybe I am just waaay to into this stuff!

If you didn't notice that white spec in the sky is the moon. It was a beautiful day and I don't think I've seen a sky that clear since.

Comments

Popular Posts